The Denim market has proliferated to encompass everything from jeans and jackets to dresses and dungarees. While jeans have enjoyed long-term relevance to the typical consumer's wardrobe, other products have experienced more periodic interest. Yet the last year has seen the interest in Denim products peak, paving the way for retailers to push less conventional lines like dresses and dungarees. Over the year, consumers spent between £30 and £50 on each product group.
- Over the year, consumers spent between £30 and £50 on each product group. Over twice as much on average was spent on women's jackets as men's, suggesting that women's Denim jackets were bought in higher volumes over the year.
- Consumer research demonstrated that this is a market where consumers shop around. There was particularly high cross-over at the value end. A high proportion of value shoppers also went to middle market players for their Denim products. By contrast, Next and MandS saw far lower cross-over with competitors.
- Price was the chief driver when selecting retailers for Denim, with Range coming in close behind. The Top 10 retailers were clearly polarised between value-level retailers and middle market leaders.
- Just shy of half of all consumers shopped the sector over the last year, with the highest penetration rate witnessed in the 18-24 group. These incredibly high penetration rates demonstrate how great the demand is for Denim products and how fundamental they should be to fashion retailers' propositions.
- The Denim market enjoyed higher custom from women than men. There was also a difference in the preference for shopping channels, with city centre high streets representing the most popular destination for women and shopping malls proving more attractive to men.
“What Britain Wears: The Denim Market”, a Capsule Report by Verdict Retail, provides an executive-level overview of the Denim market in the UK, with consumer data regarding shopping and spending habits on Denim in the UK. It delivers deep qualitative insight into the UK Denim market, analyzing key trends in the market based on proprietary data from Verdict Retail's consumer surveys.
It also provides the following:
- Average spend on denim products by category and gender.
- Key Retailer developments, including retailer usage and what drives store choice.
- Who's buying Denim and Who's buying what? Split by demographics.
Reasons To Buy
- This Trend Report helps executives build proactive, profitable growth strategies by offering comprehensive, relevant analysis of the UK Denim market based on insights from Verdict's consumer survey and secondary research.
- The report is designed for an executive-level audience, boasting presentation quality that allows it to be turned into presentable material immediately.
- The broad but detailed perspective will help manufacturers and retailers to understand and succeed in the challenging UK Denim market.